Before you start
Choose a selling plan
- With the Individual plan, you’ll pay $0.99 every time you sell an item.
- The Professional plan costs $39.99 per month, no matter how many items you sell.
- For both plans, Amazon also collects a referral fee on each sale, which is a percentage of the total transaction and varies by product category. Visit our pricing page for a summary of selling fees.
Create an Amazon seller account
- Business email address or Amazon customer account
- Internationally chargeable credit card
- Government ID (identity verification protects sellers and customers)
- Tax information
- Phone number
- A bank account where Amazon can send you proceeds from your sales
Adding your products
What can you sell on Amazon? It depends on the product, the category, and the brand.
Some categories are open to all sellers, some require a Professional seller account, some require approval to sell, and some include products that cannot be sold by third-party sellers.
The table below provides an overview of Amazon product categories, but visit Seller Central Help to learn more about restrictions, and how to request approval. If you ship orders with Fulfillment By Amazon, be sure to review the specific list of FBA product restrictions.
Review category requirements
When you choose a category for your products, make sure that you learn about the specific requirements and guidelines for selling in that category.
Note: To learn more about the product categories that are available, see Overview of categories.
Condition Guidelines: Some categories have guidelines that describe the condition of products that you list as new, used, or refurbished. To learn more, see Condition Guidelines.
Style guides: Most categories have style guides that can help you create great product titles and descriptions. Category style guides are downloadable PDF files that contain site requirements for images, product descriptions, and more. For information, see Product page style guides.
Restricted products: Some products are restricted and cannot be sold on the Amazon website under any conditions. To learn more, see Restricted products.
Categories that require approval: Some categories require that you get prior approval from Amazon before you can start selling. Learn more about Categories and products requiring approval.
Required product identifiers: Most categories require a Global Trade Item Number (GTIN), such as a UPC, EAN or JAN, as a product identifier. You can request exemptions in certain categories. Learn more about Product UPCs and GTINs.
For more information about specific category guidelines, see Additional Category Guidelines.